Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Bring On Kidd

I think the Dallas Mavericks are insane for making a trade for Jason Kidd. So, you had one bad series against a team you match up poorly against? You don't match up too poorly with anyone else, not even them (Golden State) anymore now that they traded away Jason Richardson.

As a Rockets fan, I will admit -- Dallas has owned us since Game 7 in 2005. I will also admit that I could not be happier to see this trade happen. After dreading a matchup with Dallas or New Orleans in the first round of the playoffs, I would now much rather see the Mavs than the Lakers, Suns, or Spurs.

Devin Harris and Jerry Stackhouse were enough, but then you throw in Diop and George and Ager to boot. Harris and Stackhouse were two players who killed the Rockets. Harris was too fast for Rafer Alston to guard and Stackhouse flat-out hits open shots, just like Josh Howard and Jason Terry. The Mavs are going to need Diop's extra fouls, because Yao usually plays well against Dampier.

I like it, I like it, I like it. Alston is still going to have problems with Kidd, but the Rockets are now free to put Battier or T-Mac on Howard and Scola has gained enough respect to hold his own with Dirk. Dirk is going to get his, but it's the rest of the team that will suffer. If Dirk does start to get it going, the Rockets can switch Battier onto him. The Mavs' spot-up shooting now suffers, which leaves Yao free to stay inside.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying. Other teams in the west might be worried, but I welcome this deal. It wasn't going to get any worse for the Rockets against the Mavs than it already was.

No comments: