Sunday, April 26, 2009

Post-Draft Picks

It's going to take me a little while to predict what kind of effect the draft is going to have on each team, so I'm not going to change anything right now. What it did was solidify some of my choices. I think the Packers' defense got immediately better with the selections of Raji and Matthews, so I think they will win the NFC North. I didn't see the Titans or Jaguars improving themselves, so I'm going to stick with the Colts and Texans to make the playoffs.

The Titans and Jags both needed to add something on the offensive side of the ball and they didn't do it. The Titans are also going to miss Albert Haynesworth a lot more than people think they are. What the Titans became is the Texans' defense with a secondary that is a little more opportunistic. Without Haynesworth applying pressure, how much more opportunistic is that secondary going to be? I see them struggling big-time this year, because 20 points isn't going to win them as many games as it did a year ago. I think both teams will have trouble scoring enough points to keep up with Houston and Indy.

I love that the Texans are playing the Jets at home in Week 1 and I love having the Raiders on the schedule period. They are a disaster.

I still see two scenarios that could change my picks drastically. I would like to see where Braylon Edwards ends up and the Cardinals need to figure out what they're going to do with Anquan Boldin. Edwards would give the Giants a clear leg up in the NFC East, but right now that division is anybody's for the taking, except for Washington. Boldin is the reason why I have Arizona finishing so poorly compared to last year. I also believe a healthy Hasselbeck and the additions of Houshmandzadeh, Curry and Unger will push them back to the forefront in the NFC West.

Can't wait for some of these things to start taking shape.

No comments: